A non-bento post today. During one of the days that we were snowed in not too long ago, I decided to make Mung Bean Pastry or better known as Penang Tau Sar Piah.
230 g flour
130 g oil
460 g flour
250 g oil
180 g water
1 tsp vinegar
180 g oil
300 g sugar
3 tsp salt
600 g split green bean – soaked for at least 2 hours, steamed and mashed
- For the filling, heat up oil in a wok and then add shallots and fry till fragrant.
- Add the mashed green bean, sugar and salt and fry till the filling binds together.
- Remove and divide into 100 pieces. Roll them into balls. (15 gm each)
- For the pastry, mix Dough A together and knead to a dough. Divide into 100 pieces. (4 gm each)
- Mix Dough B together and then divide into 100 pieces. (12 gm each)
- Wrap B around A. Flatten it and roll it up like a swiss roll.
- Turn it and flatten again. Then roll it up again like a swiss roll.
- Flatten again and then wrap fiilling in it.
- Egg wash and bake at 350 for 15 minutes or till golden brown.