Fruit Cocktail Konnyaku

On Chinese New Year Eve, we went to a friend’s place for a steamboat dinner. If you have never heard of steamboat, click here to see what it looks like. B & S prepared an generous spread of food for the steamboat. Unfortunately we were all so hungry that we gobbled up all the food without taking photos!! : ) Luckily I took photos of the dessert that I brought over before we went over.

I bought this fish mold from Malaysia a couple years ago hoping to make fish nian gao (sticky cake) for Chinese New Year. In the Chinese New Year tradition, it is common to have a whole fish served during this time because the chinese word for fish (yu) symbolises surplus. So most people eat fish during the New Year to wish for surpluses during the new year. (Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. : ) I have not celebrated a traditional CNY in a very long time!)

Anyway, I decided to make use of the mold to make agar-agar (like jello jigglers). After raiding my pantry, I discovered that my agar-agar powder has expired but I did find a packet of kiwi konnyaku which works too. I made the konnyaku following the instructions on the box and before pouring into the mold, I added a can of fruit cocktail.  The eyes of the fish are the cherries from the fruit cocktail. They turned out pretty cute! What do you think?

Fruit Cocktail Konnyaku

Fruit Cocktail Konnyaku

• cindy February 2, 2009, 3:05 pm

yup,they certainly are cute looking.was wondering whether could we still use expire agar agar powder??

Frankly I am not sure but I prefer not to. Better to be safe than sorry, right? 🙂

• Martha A. Cheves February 2, 2009, 4:53 pm

This is one of the cutest dishes I’ve ever seen. I love it. I’m going to buy some forms and work with this one. Thank you.
    Martha

Thanks!

• Sarah February 2, 2009, 9:24 pm

I love the fish, they look great!

Thanks!

• chinnee February 2, 2009, 9:31 pm

very colorful ler….but when u cut, will it be messy?

It was actually easy to cut and not messy. I think it’s because I am using konnyaku, so a bit stiffer. If agar-agar, maybe will be a little messier.

• Joie de vivre February 3, 2009, 9:41 pm

These are gorgeous! I’d love to see a photo of the pan you made these in too!

I will post the photo soon!

• giddy tigress February 6, 2009, 5:06 pm

Very cute jelly fish (pun intended!) – how on earth did you have the heart to eat that?!

I got someone else to cut & serve it! 😛

• spots February 11, 2009, 6:21 am

Hi, stumbled on ur blog cos was looking for sweet sauce recipe for dry yong tau foo 🙂

hey, i also want to make jelly carp for next CNY! i hv 2 kids and think they’ll absolutely love it. do u know where i might buy the carp mould in singapore? also, did u hv trouble unmoulding the jelly? any tips? thanks. do check out my blog too 🙂

Hi spots, thanks for stopping by my blog. I didn’t have any trouble unmoulding because the konnyaku is a little firm. If you use agar-agar, just make sure it is a little firm. It will be hard to unmould if it’s too soft. About the mold, I got it in Malaysia. I am not exactly sure where you can get it in Singapore but you can try Phoon Huat. They might have it.