When I was pregnant with Lil’ C, I had really bad morning sickness all 9 months of it. Almost all food including rice turned my stomach. For some unexplained reason, the only food that I could take were the soups from Panera Bread. I guess that is why nowadays Lil’ C loves going to Panera Bread, even more than McDonalds. Her favorite soup is the Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
Since we were snowed in and freezing cold last week, I decided to make her favorite soup.
The soup turned out great and Lil’ C loved it. You can actually blend the soup to be smoother but I decided to just leave the bits of broccoli and carrots to give a little bite. I topped it with a little French-fried onion for some crunchiness. Add a piece of French bread for dunking into the soup. 🙂
Broccoli Cheese Soup
1/2 medium chopped onion
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half cream
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 lb fresh broccoli
1 cup carrot, julienned
6 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper
- 1. Sauté onion in butter. Set aside.
- 2. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and add the half & half.
- 3. Add the chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- 4. Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.
- 5. Add salt and pepper. Add cheese and stir till cheese has melted.
- 6. Remove from heat & serve.