Broccoli Cheese Soup

When I was pregnant with Lil’ C, I had really bad morning sickness all 9 months of it. Almost all food including rice turned my stomach. For some unexplained reason, the only food that I could take were the soups from Panera Bread. I guess that is why nowadays Lil’ C loves going to Panera Bread, even more than McDonalds. Her favorite soup is the Broccoli Cheddar Soup.
Since we were snowed in and freezing cold last week, I decided to make her favorite soup.

Broccoli Cheddar Soup

The soup turned out great and Lil’ C loved it. You can actually blend the soup to be smoother but I decided to just leave the bits of broccoli and carrots to give a little bite. I topped it with a little French-fried onion for some crunchiness. Add a piece of French bread for dunking into the soup. 🙂

Broccoli Cheese Soup

1/2 medium chopped onion
1/4 cup melted butter
1/4 cup flour
2 cups half-and-half cream
2 cups chicken stock
1/2 lb fresh broccoli
1 cup carrot, julienned
6 ounces grated sharp cheddar cheese
salt and pepper

• 1. Sauté onion in butter. Set aside.
  • 2. Cook melted butter and flour using a whisk over medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Stir constantly and add the half & half.
  • 3. Add the chicken stock. Simmer for 20 minutes.
  • 4. Add the broccoli, carrots and onions. Cook over low heat 20-25 minutes.
  • 5. Add salt and pepper. Add cheese and stir till cheese has melted.
  • 6. Remove from heat & serve.
  • LCOM December 26, 2008, 7:56 pm

Yummy! I love this creamy broccoli soup too!

Happy Holidays and Wonderful New Year ya!

Happy New Year to you too!

• Martha A. Cheves December 27, 2008, 4:52 am

This is one of my favorite soups. I even have a story about it in my book. I’ll give your recipe a try.
    Thanks
    Martha

Wow, really? I will have to check your book out!

• Deb December 27, 2008, 10:52 am

That would be perfect on a day like today when it is rainy and dreary out (where I am).

That’s the weather we are having too! : (

• Kellie December 27, 2008, 11:10 am

That sounds so yummy, I think I will be trying this one!

Thanks

• Lainie Petersen December 27, 2008, 1:35 pm

I remember going to Panera bread and getting their broccoli cheese soup served in a sourdough bread bowl! Yummy!

Thanks for bringing back a great memory.

• crazymommy December 27, 2008, 9:44 pm

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I love panera’s broccoli cheese soup too! I will definitely try this recipe soon. 🙂

• eastcoastlife December 30, 2008, 8:36 pm

May you be prettier, richer, healthier and happiest this coming new year!! Happy year 2009!

• Chris January 4, 2009, 10:51 pm

Just had dinner at Panera couple of nites ago as we couldn’t get into Applebee’s. had forgotten how good their bread is..yum!
    I’ve been doing cream soups at home too. What I’ve found is if I add a small potato to the mix, I can decrease the cream, or just use milk. Comes out just as rich and creamy. I accidentally made this tremendous cream of mushroom from a bunch of diff. mushrooms that were wilting. Couldn’t believe how very creamy it was and delish and no cream!

Thanks for the tip. I always have potato around the house. Will try it next time. : )