Everytime I come back from Malaysia, there is one foodstuff that I would always bring back and that is ikan bilis (anchovies). Actually I can get ikan bilis easily here but they usually do not look fresh, so I try to avoid getting them here. I usually get mine from Pangkor Island and the anchovies are as fresh as they can be.
I use my ikan bilis for making soup and nasi lemak. Another dish that I like to make with my ikan bilis is this spicy crispy ikan bilis and peanuts. This can be cooked and kept in the fridge for those quick meals.
Sorry I do not have the exact measurement. Basically what I do is
- Fry the ikan bilis till crispy. Remove and drain
- Roast the peanuts till fragrant.
- Heat up a little oil in a pan.
- Add in some sambal (I use the bottled sambal)
- Then add in ikan bilis and peanuts and mix all together.
- Add in a little sugar and mix till well-mixed.
- Remove and keep in air-tight container in fridge.