Kaya Toast

December 9, 2007

in Asian Delight

When I went back to Malaysia 2 years ago, I noticed that kaya toast are so popular.(I’m sure that it has been a while but I have not been back for 6 years before that trip. So indulge me, ok?? :) ) Anyway, the kaya toast are no longer just available at the old coffeeshop anymore, but it’s everywhere. I guess it’s one of those food that is timeless and enjoyed by all ages. However, for those of us who live overseas, we don’t have the luxury of walking into a coffee shop and ordering kaya toast. So when craving strikes, we order it from our own kitchen! :)

Kaya Toast

Kaya toast, anyone?

This is a very easy recipe for kaya and is cooked in a slow cooker. So I don’t have to worry about burning the kaya.

Recipe:
1 cup coconut cream (click here for a picture of coconut cream)
1 cup egg
2 cup sugar ( I only use 1 1/2 cups. Adjust according to your personal taste.)
3 pandan leaves

1. Mix the coconut cream, egg & sugar together till well blended. Pour into a slow cooker.
2. Add in pandan leaves.
3. Set the slow cooker on low heat. Stir occassionally. It will take about 3 hours or so. Don’t worry when the kaya gets all lumpy. In fact, this is what it looks like after about 3 hours.
Kaya 2

Then take a hand-blender and blend the kaya in the slow cooker. Edited to add: Don’t forget to remove pandan leaves before blending.
Kaya 3

Result: Smooth & yummy kaya!
Kaya 4

For those who live overseas and have been craving for kaya, do try out this easy version. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails Share/Bookmark

{ 27 comments… read them below or add one }

1 bp December 9, 2007 at 11:59 pm

Woo! I must bookmark this and give it a try, altho I haven’t seen pandan leaves around! Where do you get them?

BP, I got them from the frozen section in the Asian Mkt. Do u have any Vietnamese grocery store around ur place? U might check them out too. They use pandan in their cooking. So u might be able to find them there.

2 whoisbaby December 10, 2007 at 3:10 am

wooh … thanks for the tip. now i need to get one of those hand blender. looks so smooth.

Whoisbaby, ya, thanks to the handblender, it looks nicer, right? :)

3 JO-N December 10, 2007 at 11:35 am

Still popular here in Malaysia. I love this and everybody in my family love this.

My favorite too! :)

4 sasha December 10, 2007 at 1:39 pm

eh i use that hand blender to blend my son’s baby food. Aiyah….now i feel like eating kaya

hehe….quickly go buy from kopitiam… :)

5 Mama Bok December 10, 2007 at 8:11 pm

Muahhaha!! you know what..!! i had on my MSN.. “SOMEONE SEND ME SOME KAYA PLEASE..!!” yesterday.. and that was before i read about your post.. ;) yer a life saver.. !! but i donch have pandan leave.. any other suggestions..??

mamabok, great minds think alike eh?? hahaha…. If u dun have pandan leaves, u can just omit it. It won’t be so fragrant but still pretty good. :)

6 Janice's mummy December 11, 2007 at 1:45 am

Yeah, Kaya toast been pretty popular nowadays and have been a trend for office people and others to have their morning breakfast with coffee or tea there before going to work. As in Kuching, we have this outlet called “Kaya & Toast”. I am not so sure if it is a franchise, however we have 2 outlets here. Beside toast (their bread have choices for you to choose from, i.e kaya, butter, peanut butter, honey etc) and their breads have coffee, corn etc flavour too.

Janice’s mummy, wah, kaya & toast sounds like a good place to eat. Wish they have one here!! :)

7 Judy December 11, 2007 at 2:45 pm

Looks really good…..

Thanks!

8 Little Corner of Mine December 11, 2007 at 11:33 pm

The finished kaya looks great! I made mine in the breadmaker and used a blender to blend it til smooth. Making kaya is so easy with the breadmaker and slow cooker this day.

Yep, it’s definitely easier with slow cooker & breadmaker. No more spending hours stirring the pot, ya? :)

9 tigerfish December 12, 2007 at 8:01 am

OMG! You even make your own kaya. *Salute*
I got no patience. Only got appetite to eat…..:P
But your recipe makes it sound so easy. One day, I will try. One day.

Aiya, this one very easy. Just throw in slowcooker only mah. :) Not like the old fashioned type where we have to stir for hours. :)

10 breezy December 12, 2007 at 9:57 pm

thanks for the recipe! wow! got to try it up soon!

You’re welcome!

11 Moonlight_tears December 14, 2007 at 5:58 am

Thanks so much for sharing!
You the best!

You’re welcome! :)

12 SueSue December 15, 2007 at 2:50 am

Hey this is a great idea. I get fed up of making my own kaya at home cos it turned out lumpy. Now I know, the secret to a smooth kaya is to blend it. Will make my next attempt again!

Hehe… now you know the secret!!

13 beachlover December 15, 2007 at 8:15 am

No wonder your kaya look so smooth!!.I make mine for the first time,and it’s really rough.LCOM,suggest blender,and now I can see why!!..Yahoo!!..

Yep, my secret’s out! hehe….

14 sweet jasmine December 15, 2007 at 5:43 pm

i ‘m lucky to have a sister who makes yummy kaya….and she’s married into a family of hainan kopitiam…..so i got my kaya on request..for free too….!

Wow, you are so lucky! Wish I can get kaya on request too!! :)

15 In Portland January 2, 2008 at 10:25 pm

Wow….I really need to try this recipe. Hubby has been bugging for Malaysian/ Singaporean food….and kaya is top on his list.

Hope your hubby likes it. :)

16 eastmeetswestkitchen January 22, 2008 at 8:33 pm

I tried this recipe before, and it’s very good! ;)

Yep, I love it too. :)

17 shida January 26, 2008 at 1:32 am

We had a bad sunday morning to start off last week when we went to kaya & toast (3rd mile) last week, sunday, 20th January, 2008.
My niece ordered Mochacino and what we found in the drink.
A Cockroach !!!!!!!! She actually drank and munching this creepy insect. Hygience please! When we told the staff about it she said it’s ok and they replaced another drink! How could it be ok if the cocoa comes from the same canister!

18 Daisy February 29, 2008 at 4:02 am

Wow! thanks for sharing, it sure looks easy to attempt. thanks for sharing but can i ask what does it mean by 1 cup egg? How many eggs to used? Hope you can advise. Thanks!

Daisy, just crack the eggs into a measuring cup till you get 1 cup. Usually it’s about 3-4 depending on the egg size.

19 angie September 4, 2008 at 5:24 am

here is the easiest way to make kaya in less than 30 mins. 1cup eggs [3 or4]
1cup coconut cream
1cup sugar
pandan extract
mix everything in blender. Pour into a large heat safe bowl and steam for 30 mins. Cool, then blend with hand blender if smooth consistency is preferred. I like the slightly textured consistency. Makes about 2 cups.

Thanks for the recipe!

20 Nate October 27, 2008 at 6:25 pm

Wow, thanks for the recipe link! Finally, a reason to pull the crockpot out…

You’re welcome!

21 Arup December 10, 2008 at 1:20 am

Hi,

I love kaya toast and would love to try out the recipe but I am not sure what is pandan leaves and where do i get them.

Try checking them in the Asian grocery store.

22 coconut January 17, 2009 at 7:54 am

Thanks for the tips!! You made my day after all these year of making Kaya. I have been making Kaya and it always turn out lumpy. Some told me to put in more egg yolks to get it smooth out. I tried adding more yolks, adding more butter, but nothing works!! Just made another batch of Kaya and decided to google on how to smooth out Kaya and I found your answer.

This is awesome! I couldn’t believe my eye. THANKS again.

You’re welcome! Glad that I can help. : )

23 Diana March 10, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Thanks for the recipe.I have tried with some modification to the measurements.It turned out to be great! I will never buy Kaya anymore as it tastes so much better.

24 Angela May 14, 2009 at 10:44 am

Hi
I tried twice, 1 green & 1 brown, both taste yummy. Only thing that dont understand why the colour turn out to be milky green and milky brown, unlike those selling a bit translucent, may i kinow why?

25 Ann June 19, 2009 at 5:24 pm

Hi..i just made kaya with almost the exact recipe as yours.sugar 1 cup only but texture turns out lumpy ..sob sob..maybe i will try blending next time. but i ve got the normal blender only and not the hand one. do u think it will work?

26 Joan September 21, 2009 at 1:26 am

Hi … I wanted to try this kaya recipe so badly, but I don’t have a hand blender, do you think hand mixer will give the same result ?

Joan, I’ve never tried with a hand mixer but I think it will not be as smooth as a hand blender. Let me know if it works.

27 Club Music July 26, 2014 at 11:53 am

Great article. I will be facing a few of these issues as well..