≑ Menu

How to make a Princess Doll Cake

I’ve received many queries on how I did the princess cake. So here’s the details on how it’s done.

For the cake, I actually bought the Wilton Wonder Mold Kit . As shown in the photo, it comes with a tall cake mold and a doll’s upper body. You don’t have to buy this mold in order to bake the cake. The reason I got it was because I had a coupon and got it for only $10. πŸ™‚

If you don’t have a mold, you can just bake 2-3 round cakes, stack it up & then cut the cake to theΒ shape of a skirt. The final cake shape should look like this.

What kind of cake will this be?

As for the doll, just get a regular barbie doll and break off the bottom half and you can just push it into the cake top.

For the cake filling, I used this recipe from Do What I Like to make the vanilla chiffon cake and the white chocolate strawberry mousse except that I just used the mousse for the inside layers.

Princess Cake - Inside

For the outer layer, I used buttercream since it’s easier to pipe. I used the Wilton’s buttercream recipe except that I didn’t used all the icing sugar. I probably used about 3 cups. Then start piping whatever design you like. I used mostly the open star tip (Wilton #17) and round decorating tip (Wilton #3). There’s a lot of great design ideas on the internet.

Princess Doll CakePrincess Cake - Back
For the roses, flowers & letters, I used sugar paste. Unfortunately I don’t have permission from the recipe owner to share the recipe here. Alternatively, you can also use marshmallow fondant which I will share later. I used marshmallow fondant for my Elmo cake. They work just as well. You can also use sprinkles which are just as nice.

Hope this explanation helps those who want to try to bake this cake. Have fun!! πŸ™‚

• cat cat December 4, 2007, 4:25 am

That’s absolutely a very nice and impressive cake..
    Great job…

Thanks, Cat Cat!

• eastmeetswestkitchen December 5, 2007, 1:38 pm

Sounds like you had fun making this cake! I must try this after the holidays. πŸ™‚

You should try it out. I’m sure your girls would love it! πŸ™‚

• Cindy December 6, 2007, 2:23 am

Oh my god,
    What a great idea!

Thanks, Cindy!

• Hijackqueen December 19, 2007, 1:07 am

You got my e-mail add here. Please, please email me the sugar paste recipe and also the marshmallow recipe. Thanks.

• Angeleyes January 8, 2008, 6:00 am

wow~

Nice cake there! I hope I have the courage to try baking one someday…. hehehe

Thanks! It’s not that hard when using the mold. I’m sure you can do it too. πŸ™‚

• BakerChick07 March 26, 2008, 4:08 pm

Gorgeous! Question though: I’ve always wondered how many people that one cake would serve. Also, how would you cut it up when it’s time to serve? – Jess

Hi Jess, when it’s time to cut, I take off the head & body, leaving only the skirt. So it’s like a dome cake. I had 15 people at the party and I had enough for all of them. It’s a tall cake.

• MamaT April 17, 2008, 12:50 am

I use that same pan, but I use real Barbie Dolls and don’t break their legs off. I wrap them in seran wrap. The only problem is the doll cake pan is not tall enough, so I make an 8″ round and put on the bottom. That will do the trick. At the end, you have a whole Barbie and a beautiful cake.

Thanks for the tip, MamaT !

• reina April 18, 2008, 4:42 am

pls share the roses, flowers & letters, sugar paste recipe. TQVM.

• Shaunna May 31, 2008, 7:39 am

HI There! Beautiful Cake! Could I have the sugar paste recipe as well please? Thank you!

shaunna_davies@hotmail.com

• Cori June 18, 2008, 4:56 pm

Hey do you make quinceanera doll cakes??!!
    – cori

• Cristina July 10, 2008, 4:47 pm

Please email me the sugar roses recipe, since I don’t know which is your email!
    Thanks! Beautiful job! I would like to make this doll cake for my baby girl who is going to be 1 year old on July 20th! Please hurry!!

Take care

• Carolyn August 19, 2008, 7:01 pm

Beautiful cake! I am going to to try a doll cake for my daughter’s birthday. Please email me your sugar paste and marshmallow recipe. Thank you!

• Daria October 25, 2008, 10:11 pm

That’s a very impressive cake! I’m going to bake such a cake for my neighbors’ daughter birthday. Please may I have the sugar paste recipe. Thank you!

• Fernanda October 26, 2008, 6:26 pm

Hi! Very nice cake!!!
    I found your blog looking for the way to do layers on a doll cake. Last year for my twin daughters birthday I did Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty using that mold and they turned out very nice. The thing was I just used the dolls as a decoration and I put them each on top of another layered cake because I wasn’t sure how to make the layers on the doll base. But now that I see you layered it with no problem I’ll do it this way now (I don’t want to bake 4 cakes again!!!) My daughters are turning 5 on Friday and I’m making Barbie Liana and Alexa from the new movie (Barbie and the Diamond Castle) for them.
    I couldn’t open the link with the “white chocolate strawberry mousse” that you used. It sounds so yummy: would you e-mail it to me? Thanks a lot!!!!!

• betzy January 27, 2009, 10:57 am

please can iyou send me those recepies?
    i love your cake, thanks for share

• lindie February 12, 2009, 3:13 am

can someone please send me the recipe for the doll cake. i have the tin but havent got a clue what to use to bake the actaul cake. and also how do i prepare the tin so that the cake does not stikc?
    please help have to bake the cake tomorrow.

• Mariya Foster March 8, 2009, 3:08 pm

That’s a really beautiful cake! Please send me the recipe for the sugar paste. My daughter’s birthday is in three days and she is obsessed with princesses, so I wanted to make this special cake for her. I would really appreciate your help. Thanks.

• joke May 5, 2009, 9:30 am

what a beautiful cake and ideas.am looking forward to baking a barbie doll cake for my daughter’s 1st birthday which is coming up this month,so u can see why i need lot of ideas but i think am game with what u have shared. i would be most greatfull if u can send me the sugar/mashmallow recipe.thanks

• liza October 14, 2009, 5:52 pm

beautiful cake!! hmm.. how did u dress up the top part of the doll? and doesn’t the long hair get stuck in the cream?

also, can you email me the recipe for the mousse, buttercream and sugar paste please? TQ TQ TQ πŸ™‚

• Naree October 16, 2009, 9:53 pm

I made barbie cake last week with wilton wonder mold pan, and the cake was awful. I baked it at 350 for 80 minutes! That’s how long it took the center to bake. By that time the outside, especially the top edge is hard as a rock and burn. Could you tell me how long and what temperature
    you use? Can I also get the recipe for the cake? How much flour., etc you use for this wonder mold?

Naree

• Beth C October 18, 2009, 12:16 pm

What strawberry mousse filling recipe did you use? There are a lot out there and I need a good one! Also, I would love the sugar paste recipe along with everyone else! Thanks!!!

• Delia Lopez July 15, 2010, 9:04 pm

Wow love the cake I have the pan and the doll but can you please send me the recipe for the sugar paste and also the marshmallow and was wondering what did you you use for the filling of the cake. This will be my first doll cake I will make I would love to get any advice you can give me as well.

• Nikki February 28, 2011, 4:13 am

Your cake looks fab. I am using the wilton mould for my daughters cake, but I am not sure how much sponge cake mixture I will need, as I have never used it before. Could you send me the recipe for the sponge? Also how long would I need to bake it for and on what temperature? I have heard some people burning the outside and having the inside under cooked.
    Kind regards
    Nikki

• Sunnie Graver May 16, 2011, 2:58 pm

Hi… I am trying to make my twin granddaughters princess cakes for their birthdays in June love your cake can you please send me the sugar paste recipe and the white chocolate strawberry mousse recipe? I need all the help I can get first time trying it any suggestions would really help I need specific instructions ! THanks Sunnie

• kdlkaffau November 20, 2011, 3:13 pm

can you use just one packet mix for this, because i am doing this for my cooking assignment???

• Elle January 19, 2012, 6:01 pm

I am going to try the mousse filling for my attempt at a doll cake. Other recipes state to use the butter cream as the filling. Is this to prevent sliding of the layers? I am going to use a whole doll which means I have to add another round layer on the bottom. Also I will omit the rum that is called for in the mousse filling since this cake is for a child’s party. You mentioned using 2-3 round cakes if you don’t have the mold. I also heard that you can bake the dome portion using a Pyrex bowl.

• shem March 8, 2016, 1:41 pm

Can i get the cake recioe please and what ever other recipes that couldn’t be on your blog