≑ Menu

Pan-Fried Tilapia with Garlic Fried Rice

Pan Fried Tilapia

Actually I have no idea what is the proper name for this dish. It is is supposed to be “yao zham yu” which in Cantonese literally translates as oil-dipped fish. Correct me if I’m wrong please? I’m not Cantonese. πŸ™‚ Somehow oil-dipped fish doesn’t sound too appetizing, so I’m calling it Pan-Fried Tilapia! πŸ™‚

Anyway, when I was inΒ Malaysia, it was one of my favorite dish. The whole fish is deep-fried till very crispy. Then remove from oil, drain and a mixture of soya-sauce, a little hot oil and scallion is drizzled on it. Simple yet delicious. In this case, I modified a little. I just pan-fried tilapia filets till crispy. In the meantime, i fry some garlic strips in a small pot with some oil to make garlic oil. Then when the fish is done, I mix the fried garlic strips, garlic oil, soya sauce and scallions &Β drizzle over the fish. The garlic fried rice is just plain rice, garlic & egg.

• eastmeetswestkitchen October 26, 2007, 9:56 am

This looks wonderful. I always wonder what to do with all that oil after deep frying fish. Any ideas?
    And btw, you’re tagged. πŸ™‚

Usually if the oil smells ok, I will filter & keep it for 1 more deep-frying, usually within the next 2 days. After that I usually just throw it away. I used to have a deep fryer & it was heartbreaking to throw away so much oil. So now I just use a pot & just enough oil to cover the food to deep fry. I know some people would keep it for cooking but I read somewhere that it’s not good to reuse the oil. ok, thanks for the tag. Will check it out. πŸ™‚

• chinnee October 26, 2007, 3:50 pm

u are really good with food decor!!

Thanks, Chinnee! I’m still learning! πŸ˜›

• Little Corner of Mine October 26, 2007, 8:50 pm

Yum, I love pan-fried Tilapia!

Me too! πŸ™‚

• Judy October 26, 2007, 9:43 pm

Great dish. How do you know to name this fish Tilapia? Tilapia is a Spanish fish right? Curious liow.

Thanks, Judy! Actually Tilapia is easily available here. It’s one of the cheaper fishes around. If I’m not mistaken, the ones that I get from Costco are farm-raised in US. Not wild ones. The wild ones are usually from South America.

• mommibee October 27, 2007, 1:12 am

congrats on the new PR3 update πŸ˜€ hope u get more opps!

Yeah!! They finally updated! Thanks! Hope it stays. πŸ™‚ Congrats to u too! πŸ™‚

• tigerfish October 27, 2007, 2:36 am

I recently made a fish dish cooked almost similar way too!
    your garlic fried rice reminded me of how Japanese fry the rice during Teppanyaki πŸ™‚

I’ve forgotten how they do it for Teppanyaki. Long time never go already. But I love this simple fried rice. Very fragrant. πŸ™‚

• cat cat October 27, 2007, 3:03 am

Wah, looks good… My mom like to cook yau chem yee… Usually, she will top the dish with fried strip ginger… YUM.

Thanks, Cat Cat! That’s how I like it too, with lots of fried strip ginger. πŸ™‚

• Big Boys Kitchen October 28, 2007, 1:05 am

Look so beautiful, so tasty! yum yum!

Thanks, Big Boy Oven!

• Mama BoK October 28, 2007, 6:05 am

Congrats.. for your PR 3..!!
    So stylo malo your fishie..!

Thanks again, Mamabok! Just having some fun with the dish! hehe…

• whoisbaby October 30, 2007, 2:44 am

wah so nicely decorated … professional chef, btw, you took culinary lessons prior?

Thks! Nolah, no training. Just watch a lot of Food Network!! haha….