Char Siew Bao

Char Siu Bao

I’ve tried a few recipes for bao skin but so far, this is probably my favorite. Most of the recipes require 3 days but this one only requires 1 day. Bao skin recipe is from here

• G @ mommibee.com July 21, 2007, 3:58 am

Terror u!! Sorry I am soo overwhelmed by ur talent … only 5 yrs experience in cooking and u cook already cook up a STORM! Impressive!

• Judy July 21, 2007, 2:16 pm

This looks so authentic. I can tell it is soft, and light…just like in the tim sum restaurant. You’ve done so well.

Do you think I am brave enough to try this……mmmm, I doubt. I have to think about it. Lots of work? 😛

• Dr ve Thru July 21, 2007, 2:18 pm

I can’t get cake flour here. What is double baking yeast? Also, what shortening do you use?

I await your answer eagerly. 🙂

By the way, one item striked off your mile long list? Hehehe.

• Little Corner of Mine July 22, 2007, 12:56 am

Looks good & love the color of your char siew! I’m so lazy I just use the pau mix. 😛

• Sue Sue July 22, 2007, 1:45 am

I also make some “Char Siew Pau” yesterday. If I am not mistaken your recipe is the smiling pau type, soft and fluffy which sell in the dim sum shop. I also got the recipe for this but quite ‘mah fun’, got to take 3 days to make the pau skin. That is why I choose to use the easier recipe take me 1 hour only to make the pau skin.

• tigerfish July 22, 2007, 4:18 am

Think I will never have the patience to make my own bao, the skin is just too much work. Wooo….your bao so moist…

• Blur Mommy July 23, 2007, 6:58 am

g: TQ TQ!! : )

judy: do try it. Actually it’s pretty easy. Just make the filling & starter dough a day ahead & the skin the next day.

LCOM: thks! I’ve never tried the pau mix b4. I heard that it’s pretty good. Will try it one day.

sue sue: That’s why I like this recipe ‘cos only takes 1 day. I also dun have patience for the 3 day one. : )

tigerfish: thks! Actually I also dun make it often. Too lazy! :p

• East Meets West Kitchen July 25, 2007, 2:52 am

I made this recipe before and it’s yummy. Your bao looks very good!

• Blur Mommy July 25, 2007, 10:24 pm

EMWK: thks! Ya this recipe is very good.

• jj39 February 11, 2009, 5:23 am

show my hubby your char siew bao pic, he felling hungry. How about sharing the recipe?

Hi jj39, the link to the recipe is already in the post above. Just click the word Here in the post.