Coconut Agar-agar

Coconut Agar Agar

These are my coconut agar-agar. Cute or not??? hehe……I think I am a little obsessed with cute molds. Now I have a whole cabinet full of cake molds, agar-agar molds etc.. I would have more if I have more storage space. It doesn’t help that I’m staying only 15 mins away from a factory outlet!!! Things are so cheap there. Help!! Is that a cake mold anonymous..err, on 2nd thought, make that kitchen gadgets anonymous??? Please tell me I’m not the only one that has this problem!!!!!Oops, before I digress too much, here’s the recipe for this easy-peasy coconut agar-agar.

Ingredients:

400 ml coconut milk (preferably coconut cream)
400 ml water
100 gm sugar
4 tsp agar-agar powder
Pinch of salt
Pandan

Method:
1. Combine all ingredients in a pot & bring to a slow boil.
2. Remove from heat & add a little coloring & pour into mold. Chill before serving.

Edited to add:
This is the coconut cream & agar-agar powder that I used. ** Note that if you are using a different coconut cream or milk, you will have to experiment with the amount of coconut milk to use. This coconut cream is quite thick. So if you use coconut milk, you will have to reduce the liquid or the agar-agar will be too soft.
Coconut Cream Agar-Agar Powder

• tigerfish July 11, 2007, 2:01 am

Very cute! Esp the hello kitty. Where you get the molds from?

• wHOisBaBy July 11, 2007, 5:49 am

what is the different between coconut cream and coconut milk? btw, which agar agar powder you use, so i can get them here. i love agar agar but never make it before. seems pretty easy your recipe. i just need to get some molds. hehehe … nice to live so near to outlet stores. can go shopping every weekend.

• Blur Mommy July 11, 2007, 6:49 am

tigerfish: thks! Got the Hello Kitty mold from the Sanrio shop here at the mall & the others from Msia.

whoisbaby: coconut cream is thicker than coconut milk. I normally use that for desserts. will take pic of agar-agar powder for u tomorrow. ya, very dangerous for the wallet!! :p

• Judy July 11, 2007, 6:23 pm

Hahaha, no you are not the only one. I love kitchen gadgets and am running out of storage space as well. 🙂

• Little Corner of Mine July 12, 2007, 7:48 pm

Soooo cute! Coconut agar-agar, Mmmm yummy! Hey, that’s the only brand that I used, just love that coconut cream. Oh man, if I can only go back to M’sia to buy me some cute cute molds. *jealous lah*

• Blur Mommy July 13, 2007, 6:56 am

judy: *hi-5* Glad I’m not the only one!! hehe…

little corner of mine: thks! The last time I came back from Msia, I stuffed half my luggage full of agar-agar, mooncake & pineapple molds etc.. :p

• G @ mommibee.com July 21, 2007, 3:50 am

tooo cute! i love cutesy stuff too. i hv some cute jelly moulds bought in KL – hoping to use it someday when my girl is old enough to enjoy making agar agar with me 🙂 thanks for sharing the recipe and the photo of the ingredient used helps too. May I ask what Pandan do u use? Leaf or food flavouring or canned pandan juice?

• Blur Mommy July 21, 2007, 7:53 am

g: Ya, KL got lots of cute molds. Everytime I go back, I always bring some ..hehe.. Abt the pandan, I prefer the fresh leaf or frozen leaf. I dun really like the pandan food flavoring ‘cos it taste very artificial. So if I can’t get either fresh or frozen ones, I just omit it.

• Sue Sue July 22, 2007, 5:06 pm

Where you get the cute jelly mould? KL which shop? I’m trying to look for it especially those Hello Kitty mould but can’t find.

• Blur Mommy July 23, 2007, 5:59 am

sue sue: Sorry! I didn’t get them in KL. I got the Hello Kitty one from the Sanrio shop here in US. Maybe u can check the Sanrio shop in KL. I got the heart shape one in Perak.

• Hijackqueen July 24, 2007, 3:10 am

BM, if you happen to come back to M’sia, help me to buy the Hello Kitty mould too. KL tarak Sanrio la. And our mould is not cartoon. Ah, that is Thailand’s jelly powder. I love to use those to make soya milk & longan jelly.

• Blur Mommy July 24, 2007, 4:45 pm

HQ; Dunno when I’ll be going home yet but will get for u when I do,ya? Eh, KL no Sanrio?? Soya milk & longan jelly nice ar? Never try b4. Must make & try one day.

• chinnee October 9, 2007, 5:56 pm

Yvette, can i stay next door to you ah??

hehe… can can!! You are welcome anytime!! 😛

• whoisbaby February 20, 2008, 3:38 am

i am going to try to make these … now i see the molds you used … i so want to get them. i went to the japanese store here but couldn’t find anything similar. are those you have silicone molds?

• Kate January 17, 2009, 8:54 pm

Very, very cute! Especially the Hello Kity jelly. 🙂 If you do not mind, could you let me know where abouts in the US did you get your Hello Kitty molds? I’ve been looking high and low for these. Thank you!

Thanks! I got those molds at a local Sanrio shop. You can check to see if there’s any Sanrio shop in your area. Another place to try is probably eBay.

• cakewardrobe February 10, 2009, 11:01 am

I tried this recipe last night and it was a delight! It was so easy to unmold from this pan. (http://www.houseonthehill.net/images/products/CP594_2.jpg) I will make this again in the future to bring to parties. I think they would be great filled with fruits too! Thank you! XOXO

• Quinn March 25, 2009, 3:23 pm

will silicone molds work as well?

Yes, it will.

• Quinn March 25, 2009, 3:32 pm

Also I cant find Pandan Leaves, do I have to use it. If I don’t use it will the end product be different?

No, you don’t have to use pandan leaves if you can’t find it. Pandan leaves just makes it more fragrant.

• Quinn March 26, 2009, 10:42 am

can I get a response for my question above, because I would love making these for my pot luck on Saturday. Thanks a bunch.

P.S your blog is very helpful

• Stephanie June 16, 2010, 11:04 pm

Where can I buy the hello Kitty and mooncake mould?

Thanks

• Jimmy June 27, 2010, 10:37 pm

Hi there,

Can i check how do you make layered agar agar example, bottom layer with coconut mil followed by layered of colours agar agar

tks
    cheers

• khim November 24, 2011, 8:41 pm

Hi,
    May i ask do ur jelly melt (form water) after sometime?
    I often encounter tat..not sure what went wrong.. either place at room temp or keep in fridge for days, the agar will become water (not all 😛 but there’ll still be water form)

pls kindly reply via my email incase i lost track..thks alot 🙂