Continuing on my Chinese New Year baking streak, I made bak kua this year. I was so tempted to bring it back to the States during my visit to Malaysia last month but decided against it at the last minute. So I decided to make my own when I got back. The last time I made this bak kwa aka pork jerky aka “long yoke” was back in 2007. I tweaked the recipe a little and was pretty satisfied with the result.
Sorry for the slightly blur picture. I really need to brush up my photography skill this year! Anyway here’s the recipe for the bak kwa.
- Mix everything together & marinate for 1 hour or more
- Preheat oven to 175 F (350C)
- Place ground pork on parchment paper on a baking sheet and spread as thinly as possible
- Bake in oven for about 13 min (depends on thickness) till firm to touch
- Flip over & bake for another 10 min (optional but I did this for easier handling)
- Remove from oven & cut into pieces
- Grill it on the BBQ grill or you can freeze it to be grilled later. If freezing, place the bak kua in between parchment paper so that it will be easier to handle when you want to grill it later.