I’ve always wanted to make some sort of lemon bar but it could never find its way to the top of my to-bake list till last week. I was cleaning out my pantry when I noticed that the jar of lemon curd I bought from Trader Joe’s was about to expire. So I guess that’s a good excuse to push it to the top of my to-bake list, right?
I decided to add a coconut and almond topping to the lemon bar just to add a little crunch. It turned out great. Even the spouse who’s not a dessert person loved it. The only change I would make is to add more lemon curd. One bottle was not enough to make a thick enough layer. Next time I’ll use 2.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup icing sugar, sifted
4 oz butter – cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup toasted coconuts
1/2 cup toasted & chopped almond
2 bottle of lemon curd sauce (I got mine from Trader Joe’s)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Sift flour, sugar & salt into a bowl
- Add butter. Using a pastry blender or fingertips, mix in the butter till the mixture is pebbly in texture. Alternatively just pulse the mixture in a food processor till mixture is pebbly.
- Press 2/3 of the mixture into a pan and bake for 18-20 mins or till golden brown.
- Remove and cool.
- When the crust has cooled, spread the lemon curd over the crust.
- Mix the remaining 1/3 crust mixture to the almond and coconut. Sprinkle over the top of the lemon curd.
- Bake for another 15 mins or till golden brown.