I get lots of emails from readers asking where they can buy bento supplies. So I will try to list out some of those places that I know.
USA & Canada:
- DAISO – This is where I get most of my bento supplies. In the US, they are mostly located in the Pacific Northwest and the Silicon Valley area. Check out this link for the store nearest you. In Canada, there is a huge Daiso in the Aberdeen Center in Richmond, BC.
Updated 9/9/09: For those in Seattle, they have a new store at the downtown Uwajimaya. Unfortunately it was a little disappointing as they do not have much stuff in there.Oops, this new store is closed already!!! 🙁
Updated Nov 09: They reopened again! This time across the street from Uwajimaya.
ICHIBAN KAN – My favorite online bento supplies store. This is a great place to get your supplies if you live in the other parts of US and have no access to a bento store. Their prices are very cheap. But note that their shipping starts at a minimum rate which means shipping is the same if you are ordering 1 item or 5 items. So try to accumulate a few items when you order. That’s something I don’t have a problem with!!! My problem is ordering too many!!! : P Anyway, they are located around the San Francisco area if you ever want to drop by their store.
* Updated: 9/9/09: Boohoo… Unfortunately Ichibankan online store is no longer operating. However their store is still open in the Silicon Valley area if you are nearby.
- AMAZON.COM – If you are looking for a bento to put hot food, this is where you can get it. Mr. Bento and Ms. Bento are great options. Check out more bento options HERE.
- MICHAELS & JOANN – These 2 stores have lots of cookie cutters and silicon cups like this sunflower cup. When you sign up for Joann’s mailing list, they will send you a 40% off coupon every few weeks. Michael’s usually offer 40% coupons in the Sunday papers too.
- Korean grocery stores ( H-Mart, Paldo Bellevue) – My favorite place to get my Lock-Lock boxes like this bento
- Online stores:
I’ve never bought any bento supplies in Malaysia before but from what I heard, these are the places to check out.
- 100 Yen Stores – There are a few of these stores scattered around the KL/PJ area. Check out this post by Bento Pet for more details.
- New Stylish Tokyo – They seem to have quite a lot of cute stuff.
- Daiso – Wow, I didn’t know they had one in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah. Here’s the address: Unit No S-101a, 2nd Flr,1 Borneo Hypermall, Kota Kinabalu, Sabah,Malaysia
- * Updated 2/6/09: Daiso has opened a 2nd store in Malaysia at The Curve, Kota Damansara, PJ ( Thanks, Bento Pet for the update)
- DAISO – Check out their locations HERE.
- Sanrio stores – These can be found in most of the shopping malls. You can find some Hello Kitty supplies there.
Phew! That’s a long list. I am sure that there are more places to buy bento supplies. If you know of any, please let me know so that I can add them on to the list. Thanks!
Disclaimer: This is not a paid post. I have not purchased from all the stores above. It is just my personal list that I have compiled for my own reference. So please shop at your own discretion. 🙂