Kitchen Tip: Freezing spaghetti sauce

When I first started making bentos for Lil’ C, I found that I was always throwing away leftover spaghetti sauce. I only needed a little for her bentos and never seem to be able to finish the whole bottle by the end of the week. Then I began to freeze them in an ice-cube tray. They work ok but I always forget how many cubes to use when I wanted to cook. Then I found a better solution – the lock-lock box! (see my bento supplies)

Freezing Spaghetti Sauce

I find the little cubes to be the perfect size. Each cube is just the right portion for a day’s lunch. So now I freeze the remaining spaghetti sauce in the lock-lock box and just use 1 cube whenever I need it. No more throwing away leftover sauce!

I bought my lock-lock box at a Korean grocery store. So if you are looking for one, check your local Korean grocery store.

• noobcook July 25, 2008, 6:49 pm

Thanks for the tip! I’m always looking for ways to freeze food so as to reduce wastage 😉

You’re welcome! Glad I can help! 🙂

• allthingspurple July 25, 2008, 8:55 pm

that is neat. putting in containers with dividers sure beat ziplock bags.

BTW, just tot i let you know about a competition. Winner gets the prize shipped to her anywhere in the world. Wish i had let u know earlier though.

Thanks! I will check it out.

• david mcmahon July 26, 2008, 4:30 am

Freeze a crowd!

• Little Corner of Mine July 26, 2008, 9:37 am

Great tips! I love this separate dividers lock n lock box, need to check the korean store here! Thanks!

You’re welcome! 🙂

• keeyit July 26, 2008, 8:36 pm

I want to buy those box too~

Hopefully u can find it in Msia. 🙂

• JO-N July 27, 2008, 6:13 pm

Thanks for the tips. I’ll be maidless soon and desperately need some kitchen tips so that I can still cook and prepare bento for my children.

You’re welcome! Glad to be of help!

• whoisbaby July 28, 2008, 9:48 am

this is a good tip. will get this box you mentioned here. btw, will the sauce tint the clear container?

So far so good. Try not to microwave straight in the container. That will make it stain. I usually remove the frozen sauce & heat up in a pot.

• bp July 30, 2008, 8:01 am

Thanks for sharing, I have the same problem with our leftover spaghetti sauce. If I can use it within say, a week, is it OK to just leave it in the fridge (in the bottle that it came with, referring to the storebought not homemade kind)?

BP, I am not sure what is the exact time limit on the freshness once it’s opened but personally I think one week is the max that I would keep!

• Jean Chia July 31, 2008, 7:41 am

great idea! i’ll look it up! 🙂

• entrepgirl August 14, 2008, 3:49 am

oooh! i keep seeing the Lock&Lock containers with four smaller ones inside but i don’t buy it because i can’t think of something to use it for, but rather, i just use the separate containers type. i hadn’t realize you could already segregate portions of food for ready meals wherein you could just get one of the smaller containers and reheat whatever food is in there without having to separate or slice up the portions every time you take the big container out of the ref or freezer. that way, it’ll be easier and fuss free. thanks! 🙂