Curry Puff

When I first share this with a South American friend, she thought that it was empanada. Even Lil’ C calls it empanada. She learned it from Dora! She refuses to call it curry puff! I guess they are pretty similar since both are stuffed pastry and they are wrapped the same way.

Back to my curry puff, I have tried making a few different types of curry puff but I always find myself coming back to my shortcut curry puff which is using store bought pie crust. They are so easy and most importantly, taste really good. Yes, I do deep-fry it instead of baking the pie crust. If you like to make it from scratch, I usually use the spiral curry puff recipe from Jo’s Deli.

Mise en place: cooked curry chicken filling, hard-boiled egg & pie crust
Curry Puff - Mise en place

Want one?
Curry Puff

Curry Puff

By the way, out of curiousity, do you put a wedge of hard-boiled egg in your curry puff? I grew up eating Old Chang Kee curry puff which does have hard-boiled egg in it. So I was a little surprised when some of my Malaysian friends thought it was strange to have eggs in their curry puff. What do you think?

• chinnee May 8, 2008, 2:24 am

u really keng…can open one food outlet over there liao…sure very good biz!

Hehe.. maybe someday I will. 🙂

• Lavanza May 8, 2008, 1:48 pm

The famous curry puffs sold at the cafe in IKEA store in Mutiara Damansara contain a wedge of hard boiled egg as well. My son loves the curry puff all becoz of the egg. So, you have done the right thing!

Me too! I love the egg in there. : )

• Vien May 8, 2008, 6:18 pm

I’ve never had an egg in my curry puffs before. This is something new. I will probably try this at home.

Vien, do try it & see if you like it! 🙂

• tigerfish May 9, 2008, 9:21 am

Curry puff or even kali pok! Ha, I call it. Empanada – too difficult to pronounce. LOL!

Yes. I put hard-boiled eggs in there when I make my own curry puffs – Old Chang Kee style!

*Hi-5* Glad to know that you make it the same way. 🙂

• whoisbaby May 13, 2008, 9:38 pm

i like it, may be i will try it with baking. i don’t like to deep fry becos it kinda dirty the stove. i don’t have a deep fryer in my kitchen. oh ya, i usually eat the curry puff withOUT the egg inside. i too find it a little weird with eggs inside.

I try not to deep-fry too but when I do, I use a deep pot so it doesn’t splatter too much.

• mommibee May 19, 2008, 6:29 am

i’ve eaten with eggs inside from different stalls in Msia, i love it.
    do u deep fry it?
    baked ones are nice but fried ones are nicer LOL
    i’m a kalipap monster … only that i am useless in making any.

Hey G, I did deep fry them. I prefer the deep fried ones. 🙂 You should try this. It’s very easy. I am sure u can find pie crust in OZ, right?

• miche May 19, 2008, 5:40 pm

first time seeing eggs in currypuff!

Hehe… that’s exactly what some of my Msian friends said. 🙂

• mommibee May 21, 2008, 2:32 am

i think there should be pie crust available here … stupid me, i never looked coz never baked nor made any kuih since my girl was born. Would love to try this but prolly in a few years time when the girl will not insist on doing what i do 😛
    judging from ur ingredients (esp egg wedges) how many kalipaps did u make? looks like many LOL did u all gobbled them up or gave some to your lucky friends?

G, usually I can make about 16 from 1 box of pie crust. Sometimes it’s given away but sometimes it ends up in the tummy too fast to give away! 😛 If I have extra ingredients, I will freeze them. I tend not to measure my ingredients, so I will usually end up with extra. 🙂

• Nomadic Mom May 29, 2008, 3:19 pm

I’m also one who doesn’t like my curry puffs to have egg. When I eat Old Chang Kee, I actually dig the egg out. 🙂

Wah, really? I guess you really don’t like it, huh? Hehe…

• Irene September 2, 2008, 9:38 pm

you really a good cook. *envy* I loves to eat curry puff with the hard boiled egg inside.. can I know wat kind of powder u use when cooking the meat?

Thanks, Irene! I just use curry powder.

• tekong January 22, 2009, 10:11 am

Hi.

As for me, during my first time encounter with currypuff + egg inside at Esso On the Run( Malaysia petrol pump ), I was pretty shocked, but its real tasty. I’m malay guy and I live for about 22 years didn’t know that you can put egg inside currypuffs 😛 That’s why your malaysian friend find it pretty strange.