Sweet & Sour Fish

When I was young, there were 2 dishes that I really love in my hometown. It’s the sweet & sour pork & sweet & sour fish.  I think everytime I go to the restaurant, I would definitely order either one of them. I’m not sure how they cook it but the pork or fish is always very crunchy and coupled with the sweet & sour sauce, it was so delicious.

So the other day, I had a craving for the fish and came up with this

Sweet & Sour Fish

It turned out pretty good except that the fish didn’t stay crispy for long. I really wonder how the restaurants make it stay crispy for a long time. Anyone know the secret?

• Cindy January 15, 2008, 2:23 am

Wow this looks really good, especially with rice!
    Nice job done there.

Thanks Cindy! Yes, it was really good with rice.

• chinnee January 15, 2008, 1:19 pm

i know!! Many say they put straw to melt in the oil so that fried stuffs (goreng pisang, fried chicken, fried sweet sour fish in restaurant) stay crispy even after long time!

Straws?? Yikes!! that’s a scary thought! Hopefully it’s not true!

• Y January 15, 2008, 9:02 pm

My mom uses rice flour instead of wheat flour, makes it more crunchy/crispy less bready, and my auntie swears on frying the meat or fish (coated with batter) twice – first deep-fry to ‘slightly cook’ the meat, then scoop them out and second deep-fry to get rid of the oil in the batter so it stays crunchy. yy

Thanks for the great tip, y! I will have to try it out next time. Thanks for dropping by.

• Mama BoK January 17, 2008, 2:11 am

What kinda fish did you use..?? yummy looking.. 🙂

Mamabok, I use tilapia.

• tigerfish January 17, 2008, 3:12 am

Sweet and sour fish less common compared to Gu Lu Yok leh! So I always order Sweet and Sour Pork instead 🙂
    I think maybe the “heat” from the wok also important. Usually in home cooking we don’t use a high-heat (wok on fire!). I see a lot of chefs deep fry it first then add in the fried pork/fish almost at the last few seconds after the sauce is prepared and cooked over the pan/wok.

Yea, I wish I have the high heat at home!! But have to disable my fire alarm 1st!! hehe…

• sweet jasmine January 28, 2008, 3:34 pm

hi..just happen to drop by….check out my sweet and sour pork…..

ok, heading over there now.