≑ Menu

Bento #3 – All-American Classic

Bento #3
Today’s bento consists of the all-American favorite, Macaroni and Cheese, Turkey slices, celery sticks with peanut butter in the yellow container, and chocolate raisins for dessert. πŸ™‚

For the macaroni & cheese, I prefer to make my own rather than using the boxed ones and I will try to sneak in some vegetables like peas and corn.

You would have probably noticed that I have some empty gap in my bento box. According to the “bento rule”, there’s not suppose to be any empty gaps in the bento. This isΒ to prevent the food from sliding all over the place. I really didn’t want to add any more food to it because it wil probably go to waste since toddler is not a big eater. But maybe I should add an empty containter there next time just to prevent it from moving around. πŸ™‚

• Big Boys Oven October 5, 2007, 2:38 pm

Oh so cool! That is a nice bento !

Thanks Big Boy Oven! TQ for dropping by! πŸ™‚

• chinnee October 5, 2007, 3:47 pm

oh….i din know even a Bento would have rules!

Ya, Chinnee, the authentic Bento has quite a few rules but I think I’m breaking all of them!! hehe… As long as my gal eats, I’m not too concern abt it. πŸ™‚

• tigerfish October 5, 2007, 11:49 pm

Very nice :).
    I like the bento rule – that means I can have more food. πŸ˜›
    Maybe you can do without those foil and paper – just put the M&C, turkey slices, celery side-by-side compact.

I guess I could do that but I will have to squeeze to fit everything in. Will have to try it out. πŸ˜€

• eastmeetswestkitchen October 6, 2007, 6:10 am

Love your bento rules. Must remember next time. πŸ™‚

EMWK, actually bento has lots of rules but I’m not really following them. πŸ™‚

• Jo-N October 6, 2007, 6:24 am

This is another good bento set. The outlook is important too to lure the kids to eat, ya? Thanks for sharing this. Looking forward to more ideas.

Thanks, Jo-N! Ya, for a toddler, it makes a lot of difference if the food looks pretty! πŸ˜› You’re welcome!

• happy homebaker October 6, 2007, 8:38 am

This bento is lovely! Thanks for sharing the bento rule! I would love to make a bento for my boy to bring to school! but he prefers the food from his canteen :'(

Thanks! How old is your boy? Maybe he’s too shy to bring a cute bento to school! hehe….

• Bento Pet October 6, 2007, 5:21 pm

If toddler cannot eat much, why not just pack one layer instead of two so there is no wastage and no over eating. Looks like a lot of food for a toddler.

Really ar? U think it’s too much? I am not sure how much a toddler should eat so usually I pack a little more. In this case, she likes mac& cheese, so I usually pack more of that for her. πŸ™‚

• Kelly Mahoney October 6, 2007, 7:00 pm

That bento is adorable! I wish I had a lunch like that.

Thanks, Kelly! πŸ™‚ Thks for dropping by!

• cat cat October 6, 2007, 8:43 pm

Ahhhh, nice bento.

Thanks, cat cat!

• sweet jasmine October 7, 2007, 3:08 pm

colourful bento…..try buying small lunch boxes with compartments…3 to 4 ones…

sweet jasmine, I wish I have different sizes of lunch box too! Then I can use different ones for different days but currently I only have one cute bento box. I even had to get this from Canada! The ones they sell here are very expensive. But I will definitely fill my suitcase when I go back to Msia next time. πŸ™‚

• Judy October 7, 2007, 8:31 pm

How do you keep the macaroni, ham and fruits cold while for the length of time it sits in her bag?

Judy, I put them in a insulated lunch box together with a couple of those frozen gel icepacks. She usually eats in about 3 hours so it’s still ok.

• Bento Pet October 8, 2007, 4:03 pm

The Bento box in the picture should be about 580ml. If toddler is between 3-5 years old – Bento box should be about 400ml in size. If 6-8 then Bento box should be about 500ml in size.

Check the bottom of the Bento box for the capacity in ml. It is usually in embossed letters.

Source from:

Bento pet, wow, thanks for the info! I didn’t even realised the capacity is written at the bottom!! πŸ˜› I guess I got a lot to learn about bento! πŸ™‚