Gas stove for steamboat

From my steamboat post, this mommy wanted to know what I use for my steamboat.

This portable gas stove is what I use. It uses a gas can and you can usually get it from the Asian grocery store. It’s actually very handy and can be used for other things besides steamboat. We even used it when we had the major power outage caused by hurricane a few years ago. While others were eating plain bread & chips, we used this to cook Maggi mee & boil water!! 😛
Gas Stove for Steamboat

• chinnee October 4, 2007, 10:18 am

hehe….since we dont have such “kah chang”, we resort to use rice cooker for our steamboat at home. BIG and can put MORE 🙂

Chinnee, I like to buy “kah chang”!! hehehe…. Always try to find excuse to buy new ones! 😛

• Judy October 4, 2007, 8:33 pm

I bought a tiger brand in 1993 and it cost me an arm and a leg. Then I bought another one (made in China) which was 1/3 of the Tiger brand.

When we have steamboats, I need two of these gas fire. :)) Yes, we are tham chiak, two means cook faster in one go for 6-8 people. 😛

They are so handy aren’t they?

Yea Judy, the more the better hor?? hehe… This stove is definitely very handy. Mine is the cheap cheap one. 🙂

• Mommibee October 5, 2007, 10:18 am

oooo thank u very much for taking the trouble to snap a pic of this. Ahh now I know, I have seen this back home b4. I think I will ask my mom to buy me a steamboat “bowl” when she comes over in 2 week’s time. Thanks so much!!!

You’re welcome, G! I’m sure you can find the stove in the Asian grocery store in Sydney too esp the Vietnamese stores. 🙂

• crazymommy October 5, 2007, 9:29 pm

thanks for sharing! I thk i will look for a similar one too becos we have harsh winter here in MA and having a portable gas stove seems to be very important in case of power outage!

Crazymommy, yes, u should definitely get this just in case of power outage. Will be very helpful esp. for boiling water. We ate very well during our power outages! 🙂

• bp October 6, 2007, 1:19 am

Yes, I’ve been thinking about getting one of these… mainly for steamboat or whatever else to cook on the dinner table, on a lazy dinner night! I was hoping to get one of those electric steamboats, like the kind we have back home, but it’s ridiculous how ex the ancient models (and boy are they ancient!) being sold here cost.

There’s no compelling reason for me to get one though, as our kitchen stove is a gas one, and still works in a power outage, and I’ve cooked in candlelight a few times before! So, see how ;p

BP, I kinda like this better than the electric ones ‘cos can control the fire. Sometimes the electric ones takes longer to boil. Mine’s a pretty cheap one. 🙂

• Mama BoK October 7, 2007, 7:48 am

I have one.. not for steamboat.. but for times.. when we donch have electricity here.. during winter.. 🙂

Mamabok, it’s very useful, isn’t it? this was our survival tool during our power outages during the hurricane season too 🙂