Mooncake

After last year’s attempt at making snowskin (ping pei) mooncake, I decided that for this year I wanted to try making baked mooncake instead. After all I did lug back the heavy mooncake mold from Malaysia, so I better make full use of it. But as the mooncake festival draws closer, the lazy bug in me kicked in & I really was not in the mood to make it. But this weekend, 2 days to mooncake festival with my 2nd batch of salted egg just screaming to be used, I finally got off my lazy behind & made mooncakes.

Many many hours later………….. Mooncakes, anyone???
Mooncake

Mooncake 2
Look at how my salted egg yolk turned out! They look so nice & orange.
Just what I needed for mooncakes.

Mooncake 3
Before baking

After it has been cut. Lotus paste mooncake with 1 egg yolk. In case you are wondering about the black spots, those are sunflower seeds. I couldn’t find “kuaci” so thought that sunflower seeds were a good substitute. Unfortunately, I don’t really like it. I guess I should have just used all lotus paste. But overall, I still need to do some minor tweaking but still pretty happy the way they turned out.
Mooncake

For mooncake recipes & step-by-step instructions, check out Jo’s Deli .

• chinnee September 24, 2007, 3:03 pm

really salute u for all the creation!!!! I wanted to do the jelly mooncake so much but now all the moulds still set nicely in my kitchen although the festival is almost over 🙁

TQ TQ! Actually hor, I also got my jelly mooncake mold sitting in my kitchen! hehe…..

• Judy September 24, 2007, 9:34 pm

Wow, great mooncakes. I have never tried making mooncakes. Too scared to try due to hard work and what if it fails? 🙁

Judy, it’s actually not too hard. Just time consuming ‘cos have to make the filling. Aiya, with your cooking skill, u sure won’t fail. U should try it one day. 🙂

• cat cat September 25, 2007, 1:24 am

Wah, I heard mooncakes is one of the hardest cakes to make… Need lots of “kungfu” here. Your mooncakes looks good. Sure it’s very tasty too. YUM.

Thanks, cat cat! It’s actually not too hard to make but very time consuming ‘cos have to make everything from scratch. 🙂 I think I ate too much already! 😛

• whoisbaby September 25, 2007, 6:13 am

fuyoh!! mooncakes … homebaked one. they look very good. made a total of 8 mooncakes?

Thanks! Ya, I got tired after making 8. Still had some leftover dough. 🙂

• argus lou September 25, 2007, 6:16 am

Hi, B Mommy! Hey, I haven’t visited your blogsite for a while. Was in M’sia for 3 weeks and had a great time eating all my fav food and catching up with family and friends.

Your mooncakes look really delicious and professional. I brought back 4 mooncakes (bro & sis-in-law gave them to me) in 3 varieties and now only 2 are left. 😉

Hi Argus, thanks for dropping by! Wah, 3 weeks hols in Msia?? *green with envy*!!!! U’re so lucky to have mooncake from Msia. I heard there were a lot of new varieties nowadays. Would have love to try the durian ones. 😛 Hope to see u here more often. 🙂

• keeyit September 25, 2007, 8:12 am

Nice mooncakes.. For the lotus paste, you get those ready made one or you do it by urself ? Just curious… Hehe..

Lastly, happy mooncake festival for you n family !

Thanks, keeyit! I made the lotus paste myself. Here, we cannot buy ready made ones 🙁 Everything have to self-made. That’s why take so long to make mooncake! Happy mooncake festival to you & your family too. 🙂

• tigerfish September 25, 2007, 9:48 pm

Yes, please. I want one! with yolk inside 😀

Sending u a virtual one!! 🙂

• sweet jasmine September 26, 2007, 1:06 am

Hi , just spot yr blog thru surfing…lovely mooncake u got there…i make jelly mooncake this yr…i do not make these baked ones because i already got plenty as gifts from friends….must think of how to finish all these mooncakes??

Thanks, sweet jasmine! Cannot finish, can pass some to me?? hehe…. Thanks for dropping by!

• Little Corner of Mine September 26, 2007, 4:24 am

Happy Mooncake Festival to you! Your mooncakes turned out looking good, the skin so thin.

Thanks, LCOM! 🙂

• BlaBlaBla September 26, 2007, 8:12 am

😉

*droolzzz*

this year i havent eaten mooncake yet..

*droolzzz*

Quick, quick, go eat!! 🙂

• Little Corner of Mine September 26, 2007, 3:22 pm

Go check my blog for the award I gave you! 😉

TQ very much for the award!! 🙂

• Angeleyes September 26, 2007, 5:11 pm

Hey Blur Mommy!

Congrats on your new site!

Thanks! 🙂

• Cindy October 4, 2007, 4:56 am

You make your own mooncake?
    Wow! Impressed!

Yep, I made my own! Just wanted to try it out for fun!! 😛 Thanks for dropping by! 🙂

• Mommibee October 5, 2007, 10:21 am

AMAZING!!! There is nothing u can’t do 😛 U’re so talented!!!

Aww… thanks, G! Actually I can’t cook very well!! 😛 I like to bake stuff & making odd stuff but not the daily cooking! 🙂

• Karyn June 11, 2009, 10:11 pm

Can someone please tell me how to make moon cakes with yellow mung bean filling.