Bak Kwa (Pork Jerky – Malaysian style)

After a taste of the bak kua I bought in Canada, it triggered off a craving for it. Since I can’t buy it here, I had to make it myself.

Here it is before going into the oven for the drying process.
BakKua_1A

After the drying process, cut into little pieces & throw them on the grill . . .
Bak Kua_1B

Nice grill marks! Almost there……..
BakKua_1C

Tada….. the final product. Looks a litte burnt but that’s the way I like it. Yum, so good! I might be a little biased but I think it taste better than the ones I bought! hahaha……
BakKua_1D

• Cat Cat September 7, 2007, 12:42 am

Mommy,
    Your Bak Kua looks so good.. Can share the recipe with us or not???
    Eh, I just remember I still have some bak kua bought from Malaysia 6 months ago and still in freezer. Do you think they are still good?

wah, u brought all the way back from Msia ar?? I think if u had sealed it tight & got no freezer burn, shld still be ok. Will type the recipe out soon.

• East Meets West Kitchen September 7, 2007, 8:43 am

I did a similar bak kua before, and it’s very good! 🙂

Homemade ones somehow taste better, ya?

• Judy September 7, 2007, 9:44 pm

Looks lovely. You bbq it?

yep, BBQ will be more authentic.

• tigerfish September 8, 2007, 12:16 am

Very authentic leh! Even the “chow tar” parts are so good :p

chow tar parts are the best!! 😛

• wHOisBaBy September 8, 2007, 6:37 am

kind to share your recipe? hubby loves jerky!

recipe coming up soon.

• wHOisBaBy September 8, 2007, 6:55 am

my hamtan turned out good. white a little salty but yolk just right.

• Little Corner of Mine September 9, 2007, 5:22 am

Looks soooo good! Definitely better than the store-bought one!

TQ TQ! Now no need to buy from stores already. 😛

• Sue Sue September 9, 2007, 11:31 am

Your bak kua looks delicious. I also must try to make my own cos outside here is selling quite expensive and I dont think so it is so hygenic.

Ya, u shld try to make this. Homemade ones are always better than store-bought ones. Definitely more hygenic!! 😀

• mommibee September 25, 2007, 12:30 pm

really salute u lah. “long yook” also u can make wahhh!! love ur donuts too, starshaped some more! ur DH and DD are very blessed

Thanks G! No choicemah! Here cannot buy nice ones, so have to makelor…hehehe

• craig November 8, 2007, 3:51 pm

where’s the recipe?

• In Portland January 2, 2008, 10:42 pm

Hi,
    I just discovered your blog….and man…..I am drooling looking at all your food pictures. Can you please share your bak Kua recipe with me.
    BTW, I am a Malaysian living in Oregon, been here for 14 years. Really not any good Malaysian food here. There is on called Malay Satay Hut that I believe has one or two in WA….but aiayah. I grew up in Ipoh, love to cook and love to eat….so that is quite sub standard.
    PS.
    LOVE your blogs.

Thanks for dropping by my blog. I’ve been to Malay Satay Hut too & I don’t really enjoy it either. Hope you’ll come back again.

• alung January 22, 2009, 7:09 am

bak kua nya terlihat enak tapi tolong jelaskan bahan bahan nya seperti apa saja??

• T February 4, 2009, 11:08 pm

people in US can buy Bak Kua (Bak Kwa) online http://www.asiansupermarket365.com

• barbqr March 2, 2009, 5:01 pm

Care to share the recipe? Would love to try this

• leila March 4, 2009, 9:10 pm

Hello there! That looks SOOOO good! Can you share the recipe? thanks!

• Mark July 13, 2009, 5:54 am

Try the recipe here http://chowtimes.com/2007/06/05/bak-kwa
    Enjoy 😀

• Mark July 13, 2009, 6:08 am
  • Food Lover TX January 1, 2011, 1:55 pm

Hi, where is the recipe for Bak Kua. If you are going to post the pictures, why not share the recipe as well. What good are the photos w/out the recipe!!

• Lee San February 8, 2011, 6:03 pm

this is what i miss the most but never take the initiative to try to make it. gonna do it this year…. i guess we being malaysian, this is an all the time fav and being in gwailow country we always take the initiative to cook when we hardly do that back home.

i am going to do a spicy version 🙂 gong hei fatt choy everyone