Eggs, anyone??

Here’s my little experiment in progress………. Do you know what it is???

Salted-Egg

It’s . . .
Homemade Salted Eggs!!!

I don’t know about others but I have the hardest time finding fresh salted eggs. They do sell many varieties in the Asian market and I’ve bought a few of them but they have never been really fresh. If you boil it right away, you probably would not noticed it but if you crack it open raw, you will find that the egg yolk is almost never whole or if it is, it’s pale yellow in color. Nowadays, they even sell salted eggs that have been cooked.

Why am I hunting for beautiful orange-colored salted egg yolks? So that I can make mooncake!! To me, mooncake without the egg yolk is just not right……hehe….. Oh, and I love salted egg yolks in bak zhang(dumplings) too!

I always thought that I need brine to make salted eggs then I came across this recipe in Lily’s blog. It’s the first time I’ve seen salted eggs made without brine. Very interesting!

I did this batch on July 27. So it’s been about 10 days. Another 10 to go!! Can’t wait to see how it turns out. : )

• Judy August 10, 2007, 1:05 pm

Oooh, I didn’t realise one used rice wine for salted eggs. I used to just leave my eggs soaked in cooled boiled brine solution in air tight jar which I watched my mother’s stepmom do many, many years ago.

Did you use duck eggs or chicken eggs?

You make moon cake? I haven’t tried making them but I told my sister-in-law yesterday that I would like to try. But, got no mould. 🙁

• Little Corner of Mine August 10, 2007, 4:38 pm

When I saw your picture, I knew you tried Lily’s salted egg yolk method. Please post your result ya!

• Vien August 10, 2007, 6:07 pm

Oh, i know what you mean when comes to getting those salted eggs here. It’s such a joke that such eggs can be sold. I’ve been asking around to get duck eggs and it is very difficult to get.

• tigerfish August 10, 2007, 9:26 pm

10 days to go? As long as they don’t hatch into chicks, it’ll be fine, ya? Hahahah…..

I like my mooncake with egg-yolk too…is it mooncake festival already?

• Blur Mommy August 11, 2007, 4:59 am

judy: I use chicken eggs. Hard to get duck eggs here. I also thot have to use brine so I was very surprised to find this method. So far I’ve made jelly mooncake & pingpei mooncake but not the baked ones. I brought a couple of molds from Msia in Dec so waiting to try them out 🙂

LCOM: Yep, using Lily’s recipe. Will post result in 10 days time :p

vien: I also cannot find duck eggs. So I’m using chicken eggs here. I think probably can find duck eggs at the Vietnamese grocery store but not Ranch 99. I’m too lazy to hunt for them. If this works out, u can try this too. 🙂

tigerfish: oi, don’t scare me! hehe… hopefully it won’t turn out like Balut!! eeekk!!!!
    I think mooncake festival is next mth. The Asian food blogs are all starting to show mooncakes already 🙂

• wHOisBaBy August 11, 2007, 7:52 pm

for duck eggs, is better chance to get them if you have a few pet ducks in your backyard. one of my cousin IL use to have two ducks, and they gave out so many eggs. mil made salted egg too, but now she uses XL chicken egg.

• G @ mommibee.com August 13, 2007, 10:59 am

it costs around AU$1 per salted egg (not sure if they are duck or chicken, silly me I bought before but didn’t take note). cant wait to see how urs will turn out – perfect i am sure!

• LA My Home August 14, 2007, 6:54 am

how much salt did u get on the egg exterior? i was trying it out after reading this post. it was a little difficult to get the salt to stick to the egg. i get some uneven salt layers. some very thin, some very thick, some none. Mine will be done on 31st. will see if it works. i dun like it too salty. will see. will post only if it works. hehehe

• Blur Mommy August 14, 2007, 8:11 am

g: I think they are probably duck eggs which is the norm. I can’t wait to see mine too! 🙂

lamyhome: ya, it was a little hard to get it on at first. You have to roll it on a lot of salt to get a more even coating. Anyway, I will know whether mine works or not in 2 days time. Maybe I will try one tomorrow & see. If you dun like it too salty, u might want to check it on the 17th or 18th day.