Claypot Chicken Rice

Actually it’s claypot chicken rice wannabe!! : P Why? ‘cos it’s cooked without a claypot.

Claypot Chicken Rice

When I first tried to cook claypot chicken rice, I bought a fancy looking claypot. You know those with fancy patterns and nice flowers on it? BIG MISTAKE!!!! Those claypots are really just for looks & definitely does not work like those not-so-pretty real claypots.I still haven’t gotten around to buy one of those real claypots yet so now I just use a regular pot to cook it. I find that if I put a little oil at the bottom of the pot, I will also get a slight crispy texture that claypot chicken rice should have. Tastewise, it is still not quite there yet. It’s definitely missing some “wok hei” & dunno what else. Will have to keep trying. Anyone has a good tested recipe? : )

• boo_licious July 17, 2007, 4:42 am

I bought a claypot once but yet to try it out. If I do come across a workable claypot chicken rice recipe, will get it for you. I guess an alternative is to get a Korean Stone Pot which also sizzles the rice to a nice crust.

• tigerfish July 17, 2007, 6:14 am

How about adding some kiam hir (salted fish) to flavor it up ? And some dried chinese mushrooms too? I do not have a full tested recipe though. Just based on my impression of claypot rice. :p

• Judy July 17, 2007, 2:19 pm

Really, so the flavour is different when cooked in claypot. Aiyah, no wonder lah, I used to cook mine in my rice cooker but stop doing so since my husband and daughter prefers Hainanese chicken rice. I will try it this time in my claypot (tiny one). 🙂

• Little Corner of Mine July 17, 2007, 2:45 pm

I do own a traditional claypot and tried to make a claypot rice once, but not too pretty since the rice sticked to the claypot and burnt…so hard to clean even after I soaked it with warm water too.

So, those pretty claypot are not suggested to buy? I have been wanting to get one, hahaha…

• Blur Mommy July 17, 2007, 5:41 pm

boo_licious: good idea on the Korean pot! I will check it out. Thanks for dropping by! : )

tigerfish: I’ve tried salted fish b4 but still no go. Maybe I’m being too picky! haha….Thks for ur suggestions.

judy: ya, it does make a difference. ok u try & let me know, ya? : )

LCOM: those pretty ones will probably work for claypot curry or claypot noodles but not very useful for making claypot chicken rice. Ya, that’s what I heard. That it’s hard to clean so for now I’m sticking to my pot. Maybe I’ll try a Korean pot like what boo_licious suggested & see how it turns out. : )

• Sue Sue July 22, 2007, 1:56 am

I used to cook my Claypot Chicken Rice in a Rice Cooker. Maybe try to add some Hsiao Tsing Wine into it and it will taste differently.

You can try out my recipe here.

• Blur Mommy July 23, 2007, 6:01 am

sue sue: I will definitely check out ur recipe. Thanks so much!! : )