Shortcut Chicken Rice

Making chicken rice is a lot of work. So sometimes when I feel like eating chicken rice and don’t want to do all the work, I make my shortcut chicken rice.

Shortcut Chicken Rice

Does it look like the real thing?? : ) Why shortcut? ‘Cos I use store-bought rotisserie chicken! I was grocery shopping at Costco and couldn’t resist the $4.99 rotisserie chicken that just came out of the oven.

Sorry I dun have the exact measurement but roughly this is how I cooked the rest of the meal. For the rice, I fry it with some garlic, ginger in oil & butter (butter will add some fragrance but is optional) then put it into the rice cooker with chicken stock & pandan leaves, if available.

For chilli, just blend some red chili with some ginger & garlic. Add a little chicken stock & lime juice. Then make a simple soup to go with it all and enjoy!!

• tigerfish July 9, 2007, 3:37 am

Hahha….if you have not mention about Costco chicken, I would have thought you made it! I love Costco rotisserie chicken too 😀 Always use the leftover bones to cook chicken macaroni soup.

When you cook the lightly-fried rice in the rice cooker, do you put the same amount of water just like cooking rice?

• Blur Mommy July 9, 2007, 10:01 am

tigerfish: hehe.. now u know my secret!! My leftover bones are also sitting in the freezer waiting to me made into something soupy 😛 Yep, same amount.

• leesejudy@gmail.com July 9, 2007, 5:59 pm

Looks really good. I don’t know if I can try this with my kids and husband. They requested for chicken rice on Saturday and I had to cook from scratch lah….even my husband who is not fussy likes his chicken rice with ‘pak chum kai’.

• LA My Home July 9, 2007, 11:27 pm

wah you can find pandan leaves there. here can find at limited stores. i tried to grow my own pandan plant, but wasn’t successful.

• Blur Mommy July 10, 2007, 5:41 am

judy: my hubby also prefer pak chum kai but somedays I’m so lazy to make it, so just make this shortcut version. Just tell them this is the roast chicken version, maybe they’ll like it too..hehe..

lamyhome: only frozen ones 🙁 I used to have 2 huge plants in Florida but had to throw it away when I move here. I almost cried doing that!!

• Judy July 10, 2007, 1:48 pm

Wah, good thinking wor. I’ll try this line next time.

• G @ mommibee.com July 21, 2007, 3:51 am

4.99 chicken – so cheap! i wanna live in the usa too!! i cant say enough of ur culinary skills!!

• Blur Mommy July 21, 2007, 7:56 am

g: come, come, move hereleh!!! My next door still not sold yet : )