Roti Canai

How many ways can you eat Roti Canai???

Do you like it dipped in yummy curry?
RotiCanai1

OR:
maybe you don’t like spicy food. In that case, how about served
with a sprinkling of sugar??
RotiCanai2
OR:
Eat it the way my toddler does – the East meets West Roti Canai.
Dip it in applesauce!!
RotiCanai3
So what is your favorite way to eat roti canai?? : p

Recipe:
Ingredients:
400g all purpose flour
40g butter, cut up into small pieces
1/2 tsp salt
3 tablespoon condensed milk
1 egg
3/4 cup water – adjust accordingly to your environment and flour
oil for soaking and shapingMethod:
I used the easy way out & put everything into my breadmaker. Then remove and form into balls. Soak the balls of dough in oil for at least 4 hrs or more. Take a ball and place it on a well-oiled surface. Start stretching the dough as thin as possible, taking care not to make any holes in it. Once thin enough, sprinkle some oil on top or in my case, some egg & onion before folding it up into a square. Pan fry till brown.

• Sasha June 28, 2007, 9:54 am

*stomach growling*

• Dr ve Thru June 28, 2007, 4:51 pm

Same here, growling too. Definitely curry….cos I no more kid.
    I can imagine it would be nice with apple sauce or grilled bananas with maple syrup (like pancakes). Slurp!

• Anggie's journel June 29, 2007, 12:41 am

haiyeeee…. i have roti canai at least once every week .. cos my office downstairs was a mamak store, i like roti canai with dal & sambal.
    oh… must also have a tea tarik ..hehehe

btw, tq for dropping by my blog, hope to see u more often 🙂

• Lee Ping June 29, 2007, 6:39 pm

You made roti canai? I have failed so many times. Even asked Auntie Lily (my cooking idol) questions about roti canai until one day, she politely suggested frozen ones to me.

My goodness! Your roti canai looks authentic. I like the photo showing the layers. Unbelievable….

• Argus Lou June 29, 2007, 7:46 pm

Hey, Kooky C. Was alerted to your blog by Mrs HBT. Great job! I love the close-up of the layers of your roti. Love roti pisang or roti kosong just once folded. I did it without egg; now I must try your recipe. Thanks! ^_^

• blur_mommy June 29, 2007, 9:40 pm

sasha: quick quick, go & buy & eat!! hehe..

dr ve thru: yep, me too. I like curry too. The banana idea sounds yummy!!

anggie: u are so lucky! here if we want to eat, we have to try to make ourself!!! I want teh tarik!!! *sob sob* Thanks for dropping by.

lee ping: I’ve also had many failed attempts b4 getting to this stage. But since I like roti canai, I keep trying. Now it’s getting better. So u shld try again too. LOL at Lily’s suggestion!! Yep, Lily’s an awesome cook. I’ve used a lot of her recipes too.

argus lou: Thanks!! Yep, I like mine with egg & onion. Ya, do try this out & see. So far, I’ve been getting good results with this recipe. But do adjust the water according to ur flour & environment. Thanks for dropping by!!

• G @ mommibee.com July 1, 2007, 11:32 am

FULAMAK!!! Roti Canai also u know how to make?!! SALUTE U!!!!!!!!!! I like it with sugar. I like the east meets west dip in apple sauce idea, too cute!

• Blur Mommy July 2, 2007, 9:48 pm

g: TQ! :p Ya, she loves her applesauce. She loves to dip everything in applesauce! hehe..

• wHOisBaBy July 3, 2007, 3:37 am

i like to dip in the fish curry, and dahl. seems very easy, may try it one day. i got some questions for you:
    where did you choose to stretch your roti? on what type of counter top?
    how big of the ball did you form?
    how much oil do you use for soaking?
    do we have to cover it while soaking?

• Blur Mommy July 4, 2007, 6:50 am

whoisbaby:
    1. u can use any countertop or tabletop as long as it’s big enough to stretch out. But try to use a top where u can wipe or wash easily ‘cos it’s going to be oily.
    2. I agak-agak the size. Maybe around 50gm?? Also depends on whether u want roti with filling or plain. Filling one normally make a little bigger.
    3. Enough oil to cover the balls. I normally reuse the oil after that.
    4. It’s better to cover. Just use a Saranwrap.
    You can also check this website out http://mamafami.fotopages.com/?entry=912140 . It’s slightly different from mine but u can get some rough idea from there. : )

• Health Freak Mommy July 5, 2007, 8:51 am

Looks and sounds yummy… makes me drool… but sounds tedious to make yah?

• Blur Mommy July 5, 2007, 9:35 pm

health freak mommy: A little tediuos but when we live overseas, don’t really have a choice. Either we learn to make it or live without it : )

• Chris September 4, 2008, 6:46 pm

Great recipe! Even more fun when we do this at a party..even kids can get into it!

• Claerwen Hart February 22, 2009, 9:38 am

I was in Bangkok in March 2008 and was addicted to the pancakes sold in Soi 11 off Sukhumvit Road by a street side vendor. He took the ball of roti dough and flipped it up and about in the air like the pizza guys do until it was stretched out to the size of a pancake. He then proceeded to cook the first side of the “pancake” in a load of butter, flipped it over then took 1 beaten egg, added to that 1 chopped banana and poured this middle of the pancake. He then folded the sides of the pancake to create a square , turned the pancake over to finish cooked (all the while coating in butter). When cooked, he cut it into little bit size pieces, put it into the syrafoam dish, pourd loads of condensedmilk over and gave me a toothpick and I was off. A little piece of heaven found in Thailand. WOW, I’m drooling now, must go and try out this recipe using my twist!