Por Lor Bao ("Pineapple" Bun)

For the longest time, I thought Por Lor Bao is pineapple-filled bun. Then I found out that there is NO PINEAPPLE in this bun at all!!! : o It’s actually just a plain soft bun with a crispy top that looks like a pineapple skin (see explanation here)

Since toddler loves to eat Por Lor Bao, I decided to try to make it using the sweet bread recipe from Baking Mum’s blog & the crust recipe from Jo’s Deli.

PorLorBun

The end result: Doesn’t look very pretty but tastewise, it’s very good. I guess I didn’t put enough crust on the bread ‘cos after proofing the bread, the crust kinda fell apart. But I will definitely make this again.

• Vien June 6, 2007, 6:32 am

Oh.My.God! You actually baked por lor paos?! I salute you.

• LA My Home June 7, 2007, 2:16 am

i like polo bun too, very much! i want to try this.

how did you make the dough? using which kitchen equipment or uses hand? and how did you proof the bread? inside oven or under the sun?

whoisbaby

• blur_mommy June 7, 2007, 9:13 pm

Vien, it’s not too difficultleh. I let my breadmaker do all the hard work : )

whoisbaby, I use breadmaker to knead the dough & I proof it in my oven. Here the weather is still too cold, so cannot proof outside. U shld try this. It’s very good! : )

• Lee Ping June 7, 2007, 9:36 pm

Dear Blur_mommy,

What makes you think that your bo lor pao doesn’t look pretty? I think it look gorgeous. I see two distinct layers, the buttery flaky top and the bun at the bottom. Two requirements for a bo lor pao.

• blur_mommy June 9, 2007, 5:00 am

lee ping, thanks! this is the nicest one of the batch. The other ones are very ugly : )

• Lee Ping June 11, 2007, 8:10 am

That is the beauty of photographing. You can pick the pretty ones to photograph and post. I do that as well. 🙂 Good Night!

• Ren X. June 28, 2011, 10:43 am

Looks actually really good… the topping looks nice and crunchy…
    Mine turned out a little black 🙁